Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Paint Colors, or as I like to call it "just kill me already"

So I thought picking a paint color for the bench would be easy...I obviously forgot that I am crap at making decisions on stuff like this.

Here is the original spectrum of choices...




After looking at the samples in the shade and the sun I narrowed it down a bit...



Then I thought seeing what the colors looked like against the exterior of the house might help me visualise what the finished effect would be (in the shade and with flash)...





...AND I still can't decide. *sigh* "Mother Nature"(lighter) and "Boston Fern" (darker) both have a warmer yellow tone to them, whereas "Sagey" (lighter) and "Olivine" (darker, matches the curtains in my living room ) both have a cooler grey/blue tint to them. This may end up with me being blindfold and through darts at the samples. Let me know if you have an opinion on the matter.

8 comments:

Mindy :) said...

this is like me, trying to pick a brown/tan/taupe for my living room, I have more of those paint chip thingys than a deck of cards.

Mindy :) said...

I vote for BOSTON FERN

Pache said...

I vote for Olivine (because I like the color best) or Boston Fern (because I like the name best). I usually wind up picking my paint colors by which name I like best.

nachista said...

Mike has voted for Olivine and I'm kind of leaning towards Boston Fern. I really like lighter and brighter colors on outdoor furniture because they tend to fade and weather to a nice mellow color.

Whereas the darker more mellow colors to start with tend to end up looking grey after a while.

Picking paint sucks because you never know what it is going to look like until it is finished and dry. What looks great as a paint chip could look horrid when you paint a large object with it. When my parents repainted their interior about 15 years ago my mom spent 3 weeks picking...WHITE. Yeah, I know.

I keep telling myself that if I hate it I can just buy a different color and repaint. I am also looking for a tan/khaki seat cushion(s) for the back of the bench so that will minimize a large section of color if it is too bright.

It's just a bench...it's just a bench...it's just a bench...

Hey Mindy, Do you have to have furniture moved in for the open house? If you need help moving or putting color on the walls after the open house let me know.

nachista said...

Pache your color picking method is like the way my brother Rob picks wine...he goes for the coolest vineyard name or the coolest label on the bottle.

Mindy :) said...

nope, the house has to be completely empty

Mindy :) said...

I also have to like the name - my dining room color is Frappe' - I love the color, and it's fun to say!
And I really don't want to paint the living room something like "Ottertail" or Mudpie"

nachista said...

Ottertail is kind of cute. I couldn't do mudpie because everytime I looked at it I would want mudpie ice cream.