Wednesday, May 11, 2011

If wishes were fishes...

Tonight I have been editing some family photos that my aunt Marion let me scan. I remember being afraid of my mom's mother when I was a child. But now I look at the photos of her birthday party a few years before she passed on and she was just a frail old woman, and it makes me sad.

She was strong, independent, and different...but it meant that a lot of people thought of her as unpleasant and/or difficult because they didn't take the time to get to know her. Every moment I spent dreading going to her house or being afraid of her was wasted time.

I wish as a child I had been able to know her better, instead of being afraid. So many stories, memories, laughs, tears, and lessons lost because I was young and dumb. Tonight I am thinking about my grandparents and wishing I had been able to at least meet my grandfathers. And That I had paid attention to my grandmothers, and loved them more when they were here. I also wish I had more photos of "Teddy Day", I have one and it is on my fridge, I need to find time to scan it so I can share it.

It doesn't help that I am listening to Mumford & Sons, "After The Storm" always makes me feel a little nostalgic and weepy.

No comments: