Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Buy Nothing Day



First let me say, this is not about just one day, this is about raising awareness and making lasting changes one day at a time. Hopefully it will inspire people to spend less, consume less, and appreciate what you already have more. Changing habits and beliefs are hard but in the long run we will all benefit. Second, I realize this is a British website and a British movement but it should be global.

http://buynothingday.co.uk/index.html

Buy Nothing Day, isn’t anti-Christmas, or anti-independent local shops, (I personally enjoy and prefer shopping local and try to avoid box/chain stores when I can afford it.), and those who choose to take part are not scrooges.

Buy Nothing Day (November 26th 2011 UK), is a simple idea, which challenges consumer culture by asking us to switch off from shopping for a day. Its a global stand off from consumerism - celebrated as a holiday by some and street party for others! Anyone can take part provided they spend a day without spending!



I personally like this idea. I know so many people who shop Black Friday but they don't need anything and when they get most of it home they find they don't really want it either. Buying for the sake of the "deal" is no deal at all.

We have so much, too much, and yet we are always seeking more. Slow down, think about your wants vs. your needs and then make decisions to be more financially and environmentally responsible in your purchasing.

I will not be giving Christmas gifts this year. It isn't because I hate Christmas, it is just that gift giving in this place and in this time seems so pointless. It is true that I have always disliked the consumerism attached to the holiday. I understand that other people love shopping and giving gifts and I will not take that away from them if it really makes them happy, I speak for myself alone. The Jackson Brown song "Rebel Jesus" sums up my feelings about Christmas better than I ever could.



If you want to give me something this holiday, give service and consider us square. Share you time and talents with people who truly need help.

No comments: