Friday, November 18, 2011

Count Your Blessings

A couple days ago we experienced a minor home disaster that had me grumping and complaining in the wee small hours of the morning.

It was one of those experiences that had me on the verge of making a lotto ticket run in the hopes that I'd strike it rich and could move into a better home in a better neighborhood.

This is not the first evidence of shoddy workmanship in our humble abode, nor will it be the last. I was not surprised but I was still angry and frustrated, it is never fun to be shaken awake at 2am because you need to mop up water and locate the leak. This one was especially fun since it was running down the wall where our electrical box is located. Said electrical box was being vocal about its displeasure, hissing and fizzing and emitting puffs of steam or smoke.

I'll admit I got on Facebook and complained up a storm.

After I got the gripes out of my system I remembered that I am in fact a spoiled brat.

If I counted up every time it has flooded, an appliance has died, a fixture has broken or we've had to make repairs to the outside of the house...then multiplied that number by 10 it would still only equal a small fraction of the many generous blessings I have received in my life.

So...
  • When the house needs fixing; I am grateful to have a roof over my head.
  • When the pipes leak; I am grateful for modern indoor plumbing.
  • When the appliances act up or die; I am grateful for electricity and central heating.
  • When the car needs repairs; I am grateful for the ability to walk.
  • When I am sick of leftovers; I am grateful that I have always had enough to eat.
  • When my jobs have me stressed out; I am grateful for employment and the ability to work and earn a living wage.
  • When I am upset and complain to my husband and friends; I am grateful for all the patient, kind, generous, and loving people in my life.
This may be from a Christmas movie, but Bing sums it up best in this song...

No comments: