Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Snowflakes

Because TV was lousy last night...

Because I want it to snow already...

Because I made some to decorate at work yesterday...

Because I have a weird combination of The Nutcracker and Charlie The Unicorn on my mind...

Because I can...







That's right I made ballerina and unicorn snowflakes tonight. Don't judge me....oh alright you can judge me, I kind of judge myself.

I haven't made a paper snowflake in years and it was fun. (Why, yes I am easily amused, why do you ask?) The unicorn snowflake is based off of this little painting that my friend Sandee made as a birthday gift for me. I made one of these snowflakes the other day for my coworker. It is a fairly simple silhouette and easy to draw freehand onto the folded paper.



For the first ballerina snowflake I googled "Ballerina Silhouette" and picked a simple image that I liked. I folded my paper to mark the creases and then unfolded it and held it up to the monitor to trace the figure onto one of the triangles, making sure at least three points touched where the folds would be. Turns out because of my sloppy folding the tutus didn't all connect like I thought they would. Also it really need an anchor point to connect the feet. Without some sort of center ring or point to connect those 6 points at the feet it is very flimsy. It looks more like a chain of paper dolls than a snowflake.

For the second ballerina I traced a photo of a ballerina from an encyclopedia. This time I made sure to to include a center point to connect the feet and give it more stability. The second one is sturdier but I had to use an exacto knife to cut out the inner triangle that is formed by the bent leg touching the straight leg.

All you need to make your own is: paper (I used regular printer paper but tissue paper is easier to cut), scissors, exacto knife, pen, and a template or your imagination. Here is a great website for snowflake patterns and ideas.

http://www.papersnowflakes.com/

These sites have good basic folding guides for making 6 point stars, yes I had to look it up because at first I could only get 4 or 8 point stars and I knew I was missing a step (and yes in nature snowflakes usually have 6 or 3 points, I don't know why, I just read it on the interwebz so it must be true, right? Right?!?)

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-6-Pointed-Paper-Snowflakes/
http://www.snowflakes.info/

And for the Star Wars fan.

http://dancell.cwahi.net/star-wars-paper-snowflakes.html

And all around nerdflakes.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/diy-christmas-nerdflakes

Unfortunately I was unable to find a template or easily transferable design for a tree octopus. I wanted to make some for our arborial cephalopods at work...TreeNa and TreeVor. I'll keep looking though. Want to learn more about how to save the endangered Northwest Tree Octopus?

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Here are our fine Octopi chilling in their favorite tree...



Of course if you aren't allowed to handle sharp objects but still want to make some 6 pointed star/snowflake decorations, then check out this origami video.



So, show me your mad paper snowflake skills.

3 comments:

jennicles said...

LOVE the paper snowflakes! you must have a great pair of scissors they're so intricately cut

jennicles said...

COOL snowflakes! So pretty. You must have an awesome, small and accurate pr of scissors

The Suzzzz said...

Not really, I wish they were sharper actually. I just went slowly on the delicate areas. I tried it with tissue paper and it is easier to cut but it also has a tendency to tear when you don't want it to. I made a third ballerina tonight, her head looks weird but the rest of her is ok. I think I'm going to try christmas trees, teddy bears, and nutcrackers next. We'll see how long my patience lasts.