Monday, December 05, 2011

Not Just Another Star Wars Post

Uh, there seems to be a Star Wars theme developing here. I think this is indicative of me watching too many episodes of the Big Bang Theory, since (shhh! don't tell the geeks this) I'm not a huge Star Wars fans. Don't get me wrong, they are entertaining movies and I enjoyed them all, but I'm not ready to dress up and go to conventions...and I still want to punch JarJar Binks' lights out.

Lately though I've stumbled across some interesting Star Wars items in my time-suck internet wanderings. Today is no different. My husband posted this video on his Facebook page and I loved it and wanted to share it as well.



This was done by The Piano Guys. A group of musicians and film makers based in St. George, UT. You can check out their official website here.

http://thepianoguys.com/music/


And you can subscribe to their YouTube channel here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePianoGuys?feature=watch

That was their only Star Wars video. The rest of their videos range from other cinematic theme songs, to original works, to pop hits, to broadway musicals, to hymns, to classical. This is their ode to Bach's Cello Suite 1 which I believe to be the apotheosis of Cello music.



It might seem strange to those of you who know me that I would prefer the cello videos to the piano videos, especially since I took 8 years of piano lessons. I love both instruments but there is something so soulful and moving about the cello. The piano is equally, if not more, expressive...I just don't have the same visceral emotional reaction to piano music that I do with the cello.

And just to prove that I'm not completely biased here is a video with piano AND cello. Their rendition of "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana.



What sealed the deal for me is their cover of Adele's hit "Rolling In The Deep". These guys are very talented and versatile. Do yourself a favor, improve yourself and watch their videos.

No comments: