Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vintage Cookbook: The Recipes, Part 1

Welcome back to the continuation of the 1935 cookbook "The New Art" Created by General Electric Kitchen Institute. And now, may I present, The Recipes!



I don't know how many of you have ever used an icebox before, but the results are only marginally better than an igloo cooler. You may laugh when you read the affirmations of a "constant low-temperature", but it really was an innovation. It meant that instead of preparing everything right when it needed to be served and hoping it was cold enough to still taste fresh, you could prepare it days in advance and not spend the entire night in the kitchen. I think we really take refrigerators for granted.



Funny I've never had to coax or bribe my appetite, quite the opposite in fact.



Even in 1935 they knew everything was better wrapped in bacon...although luckily we've realized that not everything is better covered in gelatin.



I'm not sure which I DON'T want to try more, the potato chips spread with anchovy paste ~OR~ the equal parts of tongue, calf's brain, and cooked spinach mixed with mayo and served on Rye Krispies. And I'm picturing the pork sausaged with salted almonds stuck at each end and I can't help but laugh, in my head they look like teeny tiny rolling pins made of meat.



And now we get to the beverages, which actually sound really good and look really good. You can't really go wrong when you make a basic simple syrup, as described above, and keep it handy in the fridge. You can also make great fruit flavored simple syrups to give as gifts. Here is a link to my fruit simple syrup recipe on Tasty Kitchen.

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/homemade-ingredients/fruit-flavored-simple-syrup/

Just make up a batch, pour it into a mason jar and tie with some rafia or ribbon and it makes a nice and easy housewarming/thank you/hostess gift.



Ok I'm DEFINITELY making that top one, kind of wish I had some made up right now. And don't you love the "Removing Ice Cubes" tutorial? It seems really elementary, until you try removing them from these old fashioned metal ice cube trays.



I kind of love that there is no bokeh, no rustic Martha Stewart-y tablescapes strewn with berries, pieces of gilded fruit holding place cards, and antique kitchen implements in vintage jars as centerpieces. Just the food on a black background to make it stand out and show you exactly what it is. The photography is simple and straight forward, even if it does come off a little boring by todays gourmet food photography standards.



I have a porch (Mike, stop laughing it really is technically a porch), I don't drink lemonade on it...but maybe I should.



Notice something about these cocktails? They aren't modern cocktails, there is no alcohol in any of these recipes.



And before you point out that one has "clam liquor" in it, that isn't alcohol, it is the juice from cooked clams. Why anyone would want to drink it, I don't know.



So there you have the Appetizers, Beverages and Cocktails recipes. Which ones do you want to see me attempt? Leave a comment below with your suggestions.

No comments: