Saturday, January 05, 2013

Cabin Fever Pays Off

Since I cut out my TV service I have had a lot more time on my hands.  Then you factor in that it has been too cold to go outside and play.  And you end up with me going on an art hanging spree in my house to work out my cabin fever frustrations.  The downstairs level wall space is already crowded so I decided to focus on the upstairs.

Now I finally (with the help of family and friends) have all my art and licenses and mirrors and vinyl right where they have wanted to be all along...HANGING ON THE WALL!




  • No more will they get covered in dog hair while sitting on the floor.  
  • No more worrying about losing or damaging one of them.  
  • No more people asking me why art is propped up on the floor.
  • No more horror vacui (ok, still a little horror vacui, because there are a couple blank spots in my bedroom that are begging for something, and one blank spot in my kitchen (reserved for a copy of Vermeer's Milkmaid if I ever get around to finding a good one in a size small enough to fit), but I'm determined not to spend any more money on framing for at least 2 or 3 years.)
I have been spending a lot of time in my computer room.  I finally got around to boxing up all my cd cases and stored them in the garage.  That freed up a lot of shelf space.  So I decided to move the book cases out of my massage room and into the computer room and turn it into a library, complete with a little reading nook in one corner.


That is an original painting by the fabulous Tricia Scheele-Gerstner.  I LOVE her work.

The only thing I have left to do in the library is hang my Moroccan style star lamp from the ceiling, right above the reading chair.  I am waiting to find out when I can pick it up from Thompson Electric.  They are adding a longer silver cord (getting rid of the short, ugly, brown one), adding a switch, and adding some silver swag chain.  I can't wait!

There is one other project I want to do in the library, but it is going to have to wait.  I want to hang a large cork board (like floor to ceiling) behind the green chair, next to the painting, and another one above and to the side of the chair on the wall next to the window.  Then I can pin copies of favorite paintings and poems up there along with snapshots and ticket stubs from memorable concerts and all that stuff that I have crammed into a drawer because I don't know what else to do with.

I figure that project will have 2 benefits.  #1 - I will get to see and remember all these great little things when I walk into the library and #2 - I will free up the drawer space they are currently squatting in.  It's a win-win.

UPDATE: I just picked up my lamp from Thomson Electric, they were really fast and it came in around $38.  I'm happy with the work they did, can't wait to hang it up.

2 comments:

slimegreen said...

Awesome! Must feel so good to have all of that accomplished. Love that you have a library in your home. How fun!

The Suzzzz said...

It does feel great. And it inspires me to make more improvements and to really enjoy my home, instead of just wander through it waiting for something better.