Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saturday Night Camera Clean Out

It's Saturday night.  The house has been cleaned, made it to my hair appointment, the errands have been run, MWD has been walked, the Chinchilla twins have been fed, the shopping is done, and I have been hanging out in my library listening to Prairie Home Companion, Thistle and Shamrock, and now Folk Sampler on UPR.

Earlier this evening I commented on my facebook page about how the pea-soup like foggy weather today made me wish I had a fireplace or wood burning stove in my home so that I could park myself in front of it and read or chat with friends.  It got me thinking about the time I lived in Ireland and the smell of turf fires.  Which then sent me on a hunt to scare up something my oldest brother R. had given me a couple years ago.  After some digging I finally found it, a bar of body soap from Lush Cosmetics that smells EXACTLY like a turf fire.  It's scent is so strong that I don't even have to open the tin to smell it.


It looks like an oat cake, but believe me, you wouldn't want to try and eat it.  This is one of those rare instances where I wish we had the capability of transmitting smells through the internet.  It is so difficult to explain what this smells like if you don't already know what a turf fire smells like.

Taking those photos made me decide to clean off my CF card in my camera.  I've just started a digital photography class taught by Levi Sim through the CVCA.  There were several photos from that class.  Here are a couple.




A few days ago we got our cameras out in class and experimented with customizing the white balance settings.  We all got to try this color manipulation.  I don't know about anyone else but it turned out fairly well for me.  What we did was set our cameras to the "custom" feature in the white balance menu.  Then we took a photo of the light cast by a flashlight with a red gel held over the bulb.


Then we went to the camera menu and selected the "Custom WB" item and selected the red light photo as the base setting for our white balance.  Then we took a photo of something white and the white appears as the opposite of the color we set for our white value, in this case everything appears green.

A white backdrop with a normal white balance level for the lighting in the room, before we applied the custom setting.
The same backdrop after applying the custom WB setting with red as our base color for white.
Then Levi held the light up to his face and we all took a photo of him under the red light with the WB custom setting.  Here are the photos with the custom WB and with a standard WB setting.

Portrait with custom WB set for red.
And this is what it looked like with the WB set to register true white for the lighting in the room.
Later that night when I got home I took a couple photos of the ice sheet in my driveway.  I don't know why I was so upset about the ice skating rink at Merlin Olsen Park being ruined when I have my very own private one right behind my house.








And then, since I had my camera out and everything, I decided to experiment with some settings on my camera.  I took a few photos of the Morrocon lamp on my desk.  I haven't taken this many photos just to play with a camera since I was a photo major at USU, many many moons ago.


So this leaves me with just one question, how was your Saturday night?

No comments: