Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Grill in Aggie Station


Ever since I heard that Montez Brothers was closing but one of their chefs, Mario, was opening a restaurant inside Aggie Station, I have been trying to get in there to check it out.  I keep hearing positive reviews and when I pass by the station at lunchtime the parking lot and road is always packed with construction trucks...always a good sign.  For some reason it has taken me about 5 months to accomplish this, what is wrong with me?


The Grill is in the Southwest corner of the gas station convenience store with the beverage fridges on one side and the fountain drink counter on the other.  You order at the counter and pay at the register by the door. It is dine in or carry out, when I stopped by yesterday I chose to take my food to go.




I ordered a sweet pork salad for myself and the chicken enchiladas for my dad to try.


Dad LOVES chicken and cheese enchiladas.  When we were in Ktown he asked to go out for Mexican three times and what I learned is that, sadly, the best Mexican restaurant in Kailua-Kona was the Taco Bell.  Note to anyone looking to open a restaurant on the Big Island...a Costa Vida or Cafe Rio type chain would do very well, the competition is worse than weak.  He had horrible enchiladas at all three establishments we visited and ever since we got back to the main land he's been wanting to go out for some good enchiladas.


He liked the enchiladas from The Grill, he also really liked the beans and rice that came with it.  The rice is a sweet and savory rice.



The entree options are similar to what you'd find at Costa Vida or Cafe Rio.  The salad was served with rice and pinto beans on a tortilla, topped with tender chunks of sweet pork, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, soft shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and salad dressing.  You can get the dressing on the side if you request it in advance.  Meat choices are Steak, Chicken, Barbacoa, and Sweet Pork.


All entrees are $6.  So for my salad, dad's enchiladas, and a generous portion of chips and salsa on the side, it was less than $13.  The portions are very generous and I'd say that the food we got was enough to feed 4 kind of hungry people or 2 REALLY hungry people.


Originally they talked about naming this new eatery Mundo's Kitchen.  Now it is simply referred to as The Grill.  It is located inside Aggie Station at the intersection of 800 E and 1400 N in Logan.  The Grill is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner from 7am to 6pm Monday through Friday and from 11am to 4pm on Saturday.  There are 8 parking spots in the parking lot, but if they are full there is also on street parking.  If you want to call in an order to go the number is 435.752.2700 (or find it in the phone book under Aggie Station), they get really busy from about Noon to 2pm.  Catering is available as well.  I can't wait to go back and try some of their other options.

6 comments:

Whitney said...

The TACOS! Gotta try the tacos! One of each!!!

mrd00d said...

I will have to try them when I visit.

mrd00d said...

Sounds yummy.

mrd00d said...

I will have to try them when I visit.

Pache said...

You are making me hungry!

The Suzzzz said...

Whitney, you don't have to tell me twice.

Pache, join the club, I am ALWAYS hungry.