Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day Weekend

Ahhh Mother's Day.  When you're a kid it means you get to make mum a necklace out of pasta and she thinks you're amazing.  When you are an adult you have to make a bit more of an effort because nothing says "I don't really love you that much" like a 30 year old child with a job, home, and income of their own...making their mother a necklace out of dried pasta. 

So get her something nice, or make her a nice meal, or at the very least get her one of those Hallmark cards that make you cry while your reading it in the store but you pretend it's really allergies so no one thinks you're crying in a Hallmark store. *sniff**wipe* DARN HAY FEVER!
There you go, mother's day solved.  Or is it?

I'm sure a lot of people don't think about it, but Mother's day can be an awkward, sad, or even anger inducing holiday for many people.  These people don't want to take away from mothers on their special day, and they certainly don't want to draw attention to themselves, but it is kind of hard not to feel depressed or left out or patronized when you fall into the "other" group.  There are many people in the "other" group and I'll freely admit that for the last few years this holiday has made me squirm a bit.

Why?

Well, I'm a 30+ woman with no kids...who is now divorced...and lives in Utah.  No big deal right?  Uh, right 364 days of the year, but on Mother's Day that answer changes to a resounding WRONG.  Most of the time I don't think about it.  But on mother's day things get weird, even if try not to notice it.  It isn't that people are unkind.  They don't treat me like a leper or anything.  I've never been shunned on M-day.  The problem is that people are TOO kind, almost patronizing, especially at church.

For years I thought I was broken for feeling like that.  Then I found the following blog post, written by Amy from The Messy Middle.

http://www.messymiddle.com/2012/05/10/an-open-letter-to-pastors-a-non-mom-speaks-about-mothers-day/

All I have to add is: Amen Amy, Amen!

PS - I really do have to thank my mother for not killing me in my sleep.  The older I get and the more time I spend with kids, the more I realize just how attractive smothering me with a pillow must have been to her.  Thanks for letting me live mom!

No comments: