Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Adventures In Baking

I made a cake for a co-worker's birthday last week.  It was a cake that I'd seen a while ago on tastykitchen.com and had been wanting to try out.  You can see the recipe here: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/dark-chocolate-coconut-fallen-cake/

The cake looked good when it was finished, and it tasted good, but it wasn't what I had expected, in fact I think this cake was out to get me from the start.  Said cake was weird in the making, and it seemed bent on creating chaos in my little kitchen.  Take my whisk for example...


This loop of the whisk broke loose and by the time I finished 2 more had broken loose.  And then take a look at the eggs...


I separated them and put the yolks in this bowl.  All six yolks were whole when I put them in.  Then I turned my attention to the whites.  When I turned back to the bowl, one of the yolks had disintegrated.  Then I opened a can of coconut milk, this was the milk after shaking it for a good two minutes...


It had a weird smell and was so solid that I could barely make a dent, so I made a run to the grocery store for another (and a replacement whisk).  But despite all this the batter looked the way it should have...


And because I'm the worst blogger/foodie in the world I totally forgot to take a photo of the finished product, which actually looked pretty darn good.  I enjoy cooking and baking, but the more I do it, the more I'm convinced my kitchen kind of hates me.

No comments: