Saturday, June 08, 2013

Local Love

It's been a while since I've spread some local love, let's change that.

Remember my car, Phil the Cranberry Comet?

Phil, you so crazy.
 He's quirky, take this behavior for example.



And the fact that when I turn the heating or air conditioning on I just have to guess how hot or cold it is because the display has quit working.

Air conditioning blasting, but you wouldn't know it.
Phil needed tires a while back and I only replaced two of them.  Now he's needing the front two replaced as well so it is time to call the guys over at Express Tire again.  But that's not why I'm writing today.  I'm writing to spread some love for a great transmission shop.

So I was driving in Logan canyon on Memorial day when my speedometer stopped working, my check engine light came on, and my RPMs shot through the roof but I wasn't getting a matching amount of power.  My heart sank because as a broke girl the last thing I wanted to contemplate fixing on this car was the transmission.  I parked Phil at my parents house and borrowed a car, meet Kermit.

Sweet ride, as long as it's not raining.
I called around to a couple transmission shops and both shops told me that they'd have to crack the case to see what's going on and that I'd be charged about $500 just to diagnose the problem and that the problem would be $2000+ to fix.  Naturally I went to my totally awesome facebook friends and asked them for transmission shop recommendations.  The nearly unanimous opinion was: Gordon Transmission.


My phone call with Mike at GT...

Me: Um, hi, my car is doing this (explains problem)
Mike: Hmmm, what's the year/make/model?
Me: 2000 Chrysler LHS
Mike: How many miles?
Me: About 250k
Mike:  Oh, I think I know what it is, this happens a lot with that car, should be an easy fix, can you bring it in about 11:30?
Me: Yes, please, thank you.

I dropped the car off at 11:30.  Mike called me at about 2pm and said that he found the problem.  The rear sensor had gone out and was causing the issues.  He said it would need to be replaced and quoted me about $100 to fix it and then asked if I would like him to go ahead and fix it.

Let's stop here, have you ever take a car to a shop for diagnostics and they just do work on your car without asking you and then hand you a humongous bill?  Yeah that's happened to me more than once and I hate it.  I LOVE that he took the time to call me, explain the problem, explain the solution, quote me a price, and ask permission before going ahead and fixing it.


I gave him permission to replace the sensor, 15 minutes later he called and said the car was ready to be picked up.  The total price was $103 and change.  The car has run well ever since and I'm incredibly happy with Gordon Transmission.

Gordon Transmission can be found on the web here.  The shop is located at 14456 N 300 W, Logan, UT.  Just turn North at this intersection and it is near the end of the road on the right side.


They are open Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm with a lunch break from noon to 1pm.  Give them a call at 435.752.8541, you'll be glad you did.

No comments: