Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Say It Ain't So!

When I heard that Mark Helprin's gorgeous and ethereal novel "Winter's Tale" was being made into a big budget Hollywood movie by the amazing Akiva Goldsmith, I got really excited.  Then I saw this photo and got really worried.

Colin Farrell as the protagonist Peter Lake, and Russell Crowe as the antagonist Pearly Soames.  Photo By Alo Ceballos/FilmMagic Thu, Mar 14, 2013 1:00 PM EDT
Both good actors, but so NOT who I pictured as Pearly Soames and Peter Lake.  And according to IMDB.com Will Smith is in it, although I have no idea who he's playing.  Winter's Tale is hard to describe but if I had to put it in a category it would be an epic (my paperback copy is 745 pages long) cross-over between fantasy and a period drama.

If you haven't read the book, run out and get yourself a copy.  It is an enthralling, lush, poetic, and richly layered fairytale set in the New York City of yesteryear.  I'm not at all convinced that one 2 hour movie will do it any kind of justice.  This is the kind of book that needs to be done in installments to render it proper service.

Have you read the book?  What do you think of the casting?  Who would you pick to play Peter, Beverly, Isaac, Pearly, Virgina, Hardesty, Abby?

No comments: