Monday, August 05, 2013

Jardine Juniper

Last Friday a friend of mine got a small group of people together to go hiking.  We ended up hiking the Jardine Juniper trail which starts at the Wood Camp turn off in Logan Canyon.  It was a beautiful day for a hike.  Along the way we saw squirrels, chipmunks, birds, and swarms of butterflies.  I can't think of a better way to spend a Friday morning.

Near the trailhead, looking back towards Logan Canyon and the highway.


Near the top of the trail it splits into two options: the scenic route and the shady trail.  This is the view looking West along the scenic route.  We chose that route going to the tree and then took the shady trail when we left the tree.
The Jardine Juniper, or as most people around here call it "Old Juniper".


There is an observation platform at the base of the tree.  It has a bench to rest on, and a box that houses a log book and pen.  I like to sit and read some of the entries in the book before leaving my own observations of the hike.  Here are some of my favorites, if you want to read my entry then you'll just have to hike up there and see it in person.


Sandee, the top two entries made me think of you.


Sadly, we didn't find the wedding ring.


My hiking companions, humoring me by posing with the treed.

The shady trail, on the way back down.

Spot the wildlife in the photos below.








The only problem with having a great hike like this one, is then wanting to do it again.  One of the few upshots of being unemployed is that I realized I could hike whenever I wanted.  So who's up for going on another hike with me this week?

My feet after I got home and peeled off my shoes.  You're never too old to play in the dirt.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I drove past wood camp this weekend and it crossed my mind to do this hike. How long did it take?

The Suzzzz said...

Just over 4 hours, but we were moving a fairly slow pace.