Thursday, August 01, 2013

Pineapple Coleslaw

I love coleslaw...there I said it, *whew* it feels good to get that out there.  I love really tart coleslaws, I love peppery coleslaws, I love creamy coleslaws, and I love sweet coleslaws.  Basically, bring on the coleslaw.  Here is the recipe for the pineapple coleslaw that I like to serve with my Philippe the Original copy cat recipe for beef french dipped sandwiches.


Pineapple Coleslaw:

1 head green cabbage
4 whole carrots
2 cups crushed pineapple

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 T apple cider vinegar
2 T pineapple juice
1 T lemon juice
1 T brine from sweet pickle relish
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Directions:

Rinse the cabbage and remove any dead leaves.  Core the cabbage and finely slice or shred it into a large bowl.  Scrub the outside of the carrots and rinse them off, then shred them.  Drain the pineapple well (I'm talking REALLY drain that pineapple well in a fine mesh sieve and then put it in a towel and wring out any remaining moisture) then add it and carrots to the cabbage.  Toss well to combine.

In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients until well blended.  Slowly pour your desired amount of dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat.  Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

*For what it's worth, this recipe was co-worker tested and unicorn approved..you know, back when I actually had co-workers and a real job, and stuff.*

No comments: