Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year


Forget Christmas, the most wonderful time of year around here is late summer through autumn.  Kids go back to school, parents breathe a sigh of relief, the weather gets colder, I can start wearing sweaters and jeans again, and the gardens and orchards around here are bursting with fresh everything.  As previously stated, I have a thing for fresh produce picked straight from the garden.  This week I got these from my little sister's in-laws...


 And turned them into breakfast, like so...


Then I got these from my parents' garden...


And turned them into lunch, like so...


Then I got these from my little sister's in-laws...


 And this from my little garden...


And turned them into dinner, like so...


I've also been helping my mom freeze sweet corn and snip beans for bottling.  Gardening and cooking are 2 of my favorite things, so tonight I'm a happy girl.  My herbs have done well this year and I've been using a lot of my basil and thyme but still have a ton left, just in case you need to nip over and borrow some.



The only herb in my container garden that I can't figure out how to use is the pineapple sage.  I got this plant from my friend P. when she moved to California and it has thrived this summer.  It smells great and when I'm in the yard I like to pick a sprig of it and crush it in my hands to release the pineapple smell, I just don't know what to cook with it.


Any suggestions?


No comments: