Sunday, October 20, 2013

MSP - Part 1

Part of the reason for my absence last week was that I was gone for several days.  I was in Minnesota for my friend's daughter's wedding.

I met Cordelia about a decade ago, I met her daughter Caitlin shortly after that, when Caitlin was still in junior high.  Over the years I've come to consider Caitlin my friend as well, and as dorky as this sounds, I've loved watching her grow up.  This was one of the happiest weddings I've ever been to, and even if I spent the next 10 years searching, I could not have found anyone more perfect for her than her groom Tommy.

I've been planning on going to this wedding ever since the couple got engaged 2 years ago.  Prior to this trip for the wedding, I had met the groom only once in person right after they got engaged, but even from that short meeting I knew he was an extraordinary individual and I was so happy for them.

Waiting for the airport shuttle.  It weirdly felt like waiting for the bus on the first day of school, but with more stuff.
Thanks to social media I was able to stay in touch with the couple and see their wedding plans unfold.  I saw photos from bridal showers, bachelorette parties, and more.  The morning that I left for MSP I felt a little bit nervous, like the weird auntie that you never see but then shows up at your wedding and does something embarrassing.  I didn't want to be THAT guest.

Gathering together for the rehearsal.
My fears were immediately brushed away when I saw everyone again and it felt like I never left.  That's the thing about really good friends, you can be separated for long periods of time and pick up right where you left off as if no time had passed at all.  Before I met up with everyone I had a little bit of time and spent it window shopping, well it was supposed to be window shopping but I ended up walking away with a new lens for my DSLR.  Here's a photo of me testing it out in my hotel room.


I spent the first evening catching up with my friend Jane over Chinese delivery and movies.  We even took a little walk around their North Minneapolis neighborhood so I could photograph their Little Free Library.


My friends Jane and Cordelia had moved into a new house since my last trip to the cities.  While trying to find their new place I overshot the address and found this Little Free Library.  I had no clue what it was and just thought some nice neighbor had put it up themselves and I thought it was a wonderful idea, little did I know that it was part of a massive global movement.


Basically it is a free "take a book, leave a book" community library.  It started in 2009 in Wisconsin with the son of a former school teacher, and has expanded to thousands of locations all over the U.S. and the world.  I tried to look this one in North Minneapolis up on the map but it looks like it hasn't even been registered yet.


I loved that this one had chalkboard on the sides and a little bucket of sidewalk chalk hanging below for people to write messages or draw with.


Now I kind of want a Little Free Library in my neighborhood.  The next step is finding someone who can build one that won't be condemned by the fair housing committee, if I built one it wouldn't last the day.

No comments: