Sunday, November 10, 2013

Oh, Autumn...

...you break my heart every year!  Every season has something that I love, but Autumn is special.


Winter has snowshoeing in the canyon, skiing at Beaver Mountain, waking up to winter wonderland type snowfalls, and ice skating at Merlin Olsen park...but it is fickle and overstays its welcome.  Spring brings flowers, gardening, and hope for a fresh new year...but it is slow in coming and often lets winter walk all over it.  Summer has hiking, picnics, floating the narrows, fireworks, and campfire cookouts...but it can be hectic, hot, and dry.

Autumn always was, is, and will be my favorite season.  It has all the benefits of summer (hiking, bonfires, and gloriously sunny afternoons) but with its own special feeling.  Things slow down, the world draws inward and nature puts on a show.  I love everything about it: the harvest season, the changing leaves, the crisp air, apple cider, Halloween, school football games, sweaters, the thunderstorms, and the way it feels like it is going to last forever.  The only thing I don't like is when it ends, that's the bit that breaks my heart every time.

Last Saturday I spent three house at my family's cabin in Logan canyon.  I did a bit of cleaning, checked the mouse traps and bait stations, and then went on a photowalk through our summer home site.  It was a golden day, the kind that makes it easy to lose track of time, the kind that is good for the soul.






I don't want rodents in the cabin, but I can't help but feel bad when I find a dead one.





Some interesting shadows that were falling across the road.  I couldn't get them to read well on camera so I propped up my diffuser to catch the shadows and then took the photo.
















































This sounds weird but have one of the most beautiful cemeteries that I've ever seen.  The South road in the cemetery is line with these trees (I'm not sure if they are London Plane Trees or Sycamores) that have the most beautiful bark and fall foliage.  It's a nice peaceful place for an afternoon walk.

Of course fall doesn't last long here.  The morning after I took those photos I awoke to a fresh blanket of snow on the valley.  Overnight we went from crisp golden perfection to a cold and snowy slush.  Even though it was Sunday and all I wanted to do was pull the duvet up over my head and go back to sleep, I still got up and got a few photos before the sun came up and melted it all away.







I went back up to the cabin yesterday to check on things.  Almost all the leaves had fallen now.  All the other cabins were locked up for the winter, I had the site to myself.  The difference between last week and this week were obvious.

Last Week

This week

Last week

This week.
Molly the wonder dog didn't care that all the leaves had fallen, it just meant more stuff for her to roll around in.

No comments: