Sunday, November 10, 2013

Veterans Day - Remembrance Day 2013

"When Lilacs Last In The Dooryard Bloom'd", stanza 15, by Walt Whitman
To the tally of my soul,
Loud and strong kept up the gray-brown bird, 
With pure deliberate notes spreading filling the night.

Loud in the pines and cedars dim,
Clear in the freshness moist and the swamp-perfume,
And I with my comrades there in the night.

While my sight that was bound in my eyes unclosed,
As to long panoramas of visions.

And I saw askant the armies,
I saw as in noiseless dreams hundresds of battle-flags,
Borne through the smoke of the battles and pierc'd with missiles I saw them,
And carried hither and yon through the smoke, and torn and bloody,
And at last but a few shred left on the staffs, (and all in silence,)
And the staffs all splinter'd and broken.

I saw battle-corpses, myriads of them,
And the white skeletons of young men, I saw them,
I saw the debris and debris of all the slain soldiers on the war,
But I saw they were not as was thought,
They themselves were fully at rest, they suffer'd not,
The living remain'd and suffer'd, the mother suffer'd,
And the wife and child and the musing comrade suffer'd,
And the armies that remain'd suffer'd.
Make sure to thank the veterans you know this Veterans Day and Remembrance Day.  And if you can, give them more than words, actually do something to support the troops currently serving, and the veterans who served with honor.


I say it every year and I mean it every year...

If you serve or have served in the armed forces, THANK YOU!  If your loved ones serve or have served in the military, THANK YOU!  If you have lost someone in the service of our country my heart and thoughts go out to you today and I know it isn't enough but I would still like to say, THANK YOU!

 A special thanks to the veterans in my life.  I love, respect, and thank you for your service, your example, and everything that you are: Dad, Uncle Del, Uncle Tom, and "Uncle" Jim.

No comments: