Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Special Someone

Molly the Wonder Dog is my special someone.  Emphasis on special.  She's a great companion.  MWD is always happy to see me, she never talks back, she's cuddly in a hugely awkward and dorky yet very lovable kind of way, but she's a little derpy.

How derpy?

Well, I'm glad you asked.  A few days ago I woke up from a weird dream in the wee hours of the morning.  In the dream I thought someone was trying to break into the house and I could hear them jingling keys or a lock pick tool.  After waking up I realized it was just the sound of Molly's tags clicking on something metal, so I rolled over and went back to sleep.

Unusually I woke to the alarm instead of Molly when it was time to get up.  Usually she is wide awake and prancing by my side of the bed at 6am before my alarm goes off, begging to go outside for her morning walk.  That morning she was hiding on the other side of the bed and all I could see was the top of her head.  She saw me looking at her and she ducked her head down even farther.

Uh-oh.

That never bodes well in this house.

Me: "Molly, What.Did.You.Do??"

All I hear from her is a whine and an odd metallic thunk on the side of the bed.  I got up and walked around and this is what I found.


She had laid down over the heater vent in my room and gotten her tags stuck in the grate.  And being that I'm my mother's daughter, I first laughed, then I grabbed my camera to document this proud moment of Derpness.


She refused to make eye contact with me, or even look in my general direction.  She kept trying to lay down but the grate kept getting in the way.

This one is a little fuzzy because I was laughing and holding the grate up and trying to take a photo at the same time.  Compassion is my middle name.
I finally had mercy and untangled her collar.  She took off like a shot and hid behind the recliner in the living room and wouldn't come out at all until I got home from work on my lunch break.  Not even for food and a walk which are her two favorite things in the world.


Luckily the grates are made to be removed for cleaning, and nothing was damaged.  The only problem was it made me realize that I need to have my carpets cleaned again.  I think I'm just going to put the vent cover back and forget about that last part.

No comments: