Friday, June 27, 2014

Meet Lucy

I am not an artist...but I know many talented artists.  They constantly amaze and inspire me.  I've always wanted to be able to create at their level, but sadly, I was not built like them.  I was built to appreciate and occasionally instigate, but not to be the creative genius behind great art.

There is a very long and very boring story behind this and I won't numb your brains with all the vapid details, but when I was 25 I promised someone that I would do something just for myself by the time I was 35.  That thing was to get a guitar and learn how to play it.  I had 8 years of piano lessons as a kid, so you'd think it wouldn't be that big of a deal, you'd be wrong.  I've thought about it from time to time over the last 10 years, but many things held me back, the biggest thing being my own fear.  I am my own worst enemy.

A couple months ago I received a not so gentle push towards my goal and a huge helping of inspiration from yet another talented person in my life.  Long story short, today is my 35th birthday and I am the proud owner of this beautiful guitar, her name is Lucy:


With just shy of 2 months of lessons under my belt, it is safe to say that I still suck and will suck for a good long time.  But that's O.K.  The important thing is that I am improving and I love it!  It is a wonderful thing to have an instrument in my home again, and to be able to make music of my own choosing, any time, day or night.  I practice every day, although my teacher, Nick Manning at KSM Guitars, probably won't believe that.  Speaking of which he deserves a medal for not strangling me by now.

When I brought Lucy home I started thinking about a way to show my appreciation to everyone who helped make it happen.  There were so many people who helped, whether they knew about it or not, that I felt like I would never be able to reach them all.  But I had an idea and with the help of even more crazy talented friends (both new and old), I took a picture in my head and made it a reality.  I story-boarded a photo shoot that I wanted to do and then enlisted a great team of people who helped make it happen.

So for everyone that has ever encouraged me to learn, supported, listened to, inspired, talked to, helped, lifted up, put me in my place, gave constructive criticism, offered unconditional love, didn't laugh at my goals, gave lessons, loved me for who I was and didn't want to change me, helped me find myself again in the last two years, and basically gave me the courage to do this seemly small thing...THANK YOU!  You might not know who you are or how you helped me, but I know and I will always be grateful.  These photos are for all of you, you helped create this.















































CREDITS:

Photography: Christie Heywood Photography
Haircut & Color: Jolene Merrill
Makeup: Perfection by Ashley Professional Makeup Artistry
Hair up-do: Whitney @ Kutting Edge Salon
Custom denim jacket: Gena at G.E. Deszignz
Car: My dad...the batmobile is definitely the star of the show.

PS - One last thank you.  To all of the kind strangers who stopped to check on us while we were shooting because it looked like we were stranded, thank you for restoring my faith in humanity.

No comments: