Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Parents With Computers

My mother is 73 years old, my father is almost 92 years old.  Mom hates computers and avoids using them if at all possible, dad LOVES technology but isn't great with it.  I'm used to getting phone calls that go something like this...

"We've done something to the tv, it's only in Spanish now, can you come fix it?"

~or~

"What is the difference between a facebook and at twitter?  I think I need one but I'm not sure which one.  Or should I get one of each?"

~or~

*phone rings*
Me: "Hello?"
Them: "I'm calling her right now honey, I'm just waiting for her to pick up."
Me: "Hi, I'm here, what's up?"
Them: "I don't know if this thing is on, it was ringing and now it's not ringing, should I call her back?"
Me: *shouting into the phone* "Guys I can hear you, can you hear me?"
Then: "Maybe we should hang up and try again."

~or~

Mom: "I was watching this tv show and they had a recipe can you go to the internet and find it for me?"
Me: "Mom you have a computer, wifi, and a printer, I can teach you how to look it up and print it yourself"
Mom: "It would just be easier if you do it."
Me: "For you..."

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents and they are adorable.  99% of the time I laugh at their techno-foibles, but there is that 1% that makes me want to tear my hair out.  The irony of it is that I am the least techno savvy of their 7 children (I have a tablet that I don't use because it hates me), but I'm the one the consistently call for help.  Maybe it's less intimidating because I'm not an expert, but I usually end up calling one of my brothers or brothers in law to help them.

So when I saw this video it made me want to laugh AND cry.  It also made me paranoid that the TSA has been farming out recordings of my cell phone conversations to comedians looking for material.


No comments: