Thursday, March 03, 2016

Musings on "Mediocrity"

As I was getting ready for work this morning I took a break to check my email and facebook (Yeah, I'm a screen junkie, what of it?).  A friend of mine shared the following article on her facebook page and it sparked a very thoughtful conversation.  Something about the title bothered me, and then I had a facepalm moment when I realized the irony.  Go here to read "What If All I Want Is A Mediocre Life?". 

So the Queen of Medocrity doesn't feel comfortable with someone claiming their simple but good life is "mediocre".  Yeah, I'm a hypocrite.  Let's look at some definitions shall we?

The Merriam Webster definition of MEDIOCRE.

The Merriam Webster definition of SIMPLICITY.

Living a simple and quiet life where you strive to love and do good where you can, while enjoying the gifts life has to offer, without the constant strife and stress of a highly ambitious life is a gift...not a life of "low quality".

I often feel mediocre, like I have a wide breadth of general knowledge but no real expertise in any of it.  As a women and because of some life experiences I've had, I have a tendency to over analyze and then doubt myself and what I have to offer from time to time.  I allow myself to feel mediocre, no one else does it for me.  But more and more I realize the blessings of a small and quiet life.  The joy of solitude and freedom.  The relief of not over-scheduling yourself in the pursuit of a goal that may or may not improve my life in the long run but will certainly cause tension in the short term.

If we all set out to do great, important things, we would have no one to do the little and necessary things that we need for our lives and societies to function on a smooth course.  Many little things done with love and gratitude can achieve amazing results.  So please, dear readers, never mistake simplicity as mediocrity.



No comments: